Our Weekly Meeting - Date & Location:
Meeting Location: Fair Haven UMC Fellowship Hall!
Meeting Time: Every Wed, 1:00 to 3:00 PM!
PC Help & Troubleshooting: 10:00 AM to Noon - By Appointment Only!
Another Major Project now completed - Better Internet Access - Upgraded from 50Mbps Download through Comcast Business to 100Mbps Download + 20Mbps Upload for 1080 Live Stream on YouTube.
Currently, We use an InFocus DLP Video Projector - 1080 Resolution!
And... A Large 150 inch diagonal Screen!
Thanks to All for your Continued Support of a better BuildOrBuy experience!
Notice... BuildOrBuy Calendar for January 2017
- Happy New Year!
- This week... Wed, 1-18-2017 - No Meeting due to Fair Haven Garage Sale on Sat, 1-20-2017
- Next week... Wed, 1-25-2017 - Special Photo Editing presentation by Ed Hanson!
Our YouTube Videos!
Technology News... Talking Points - For Discussion!
On... Wednesday, January 25th, 2017
- From Ed Hanson - Picture Window Pro - Free DL (1-25-2017)
- Ustream.TV - IBM Cloud Video - The Web - Video Trends to Look for in 2017 (1-24-2017)
- From Milt Gugenheim - Komando.com - Which AA batteries perform the best? Posted 10-21-2016 (1-24-2017)
- Digital Trends - DirecTV Now Has Already Topped 200,000 Subscribers (1-24-2017)
- Digital Trends - Nokia 18.4-Inch tablet: News Rumors, Specs, Price, Release Date - Posted 1-23-2017 (1-24-2017)
- PCMag.com - The Best TVs of 2017 - Posted 1-11-2017 (1-24-2017)
- Belkin - WeMo Home Automation & Google Home (1-24-2017)
- TechConnect - D-Wave's $15 million quantum computer runs a staggering 2,000 qubits (1-24-2017)
- TechConnect - Microsoft tries to expel Chromebooks from schools with Intune app and low-cost PCs (1-24-2017)
- BOXX - Apexx 2 - 4.8GHz Overclocked Kaby Lake Intel Core i7 CPU (1-24-2017)
- Newegg.com - Sweet Deals to Celebrate Newegg's 16th Anniversary (1-24-2017)
- InfoWorld - The evolution of (and solution to) ransomware (1-24-2017)
- InfoWorld - Almost there - Skype for Business inches forward (1-24-2017)
- RedShark News - Razer Blade GTX 1060 [Laptop] review - why stop at gaming? (1-24-2017)
- Digital Trends - Watch Samsung's Response to the Galaxy Note 7 Fires - [Exploding Batteries] - Posted 1-22-2017 (1-23-2017)
- TechConnect - The Asus Tinker Board is a powerful Raspberry Pi rival that plays 4K video (1-23-2017)
- NewscastStudio - 7 studios leading the way with LED video technology - Posted 1-20-2017 (1-23-2017)
- AudioMediaInternational - NAMM 2017 - Steinberg reinforces VST instrument offering - Posted 1-20-2017 (1-23-2017)
- Steinberg - What is new in HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3 (1-23-2017)
- AMD 'Meet The Experts' Webinar - The ecosystem is ready for AMD Ryzen CPUs, get you up-to-date with the latest information - DATE: January 31, 2017 9 A.M. [GMT-6] (1-23-2017)
- How-To Geek - How to Use the Diskpart Utility to Assign and Remove Drive Letters (1-23-2017)
- From Robert Collier - Komando.com - Top Story - Malware
strikes Google Chrome users with tricky new technique - Posted 1-20-2017 (1-21-2017)
- James Fallon - PCMag.com - Nomorobo Review & Rating - Posted 9-30-2015 (1-21-2017)
- YouTube - Nomorobo Explained - Posted 6-4-2014 (1-21-2017)
- From Milt Gugenheim - Komando.com - 5
free tools to make Windows better - Posted 10-20-2016 (1-21-2017)
- D-Link Blog - Battle of the Bands: 2.4GHz versus 5GHz - Posted 1-20-2017 (1-21-2017)
- MusicRadar - NAMM 2017: Mixcraft 8 introduces advanced sidechaining and a whole new audio engine (1-20-2017)
- Digital Trends - Microsoft Is Tossing Free Upgrades To Windows 10 Enterprise Subscribers (1-20-2017)
- Digital Trends - Asus Outs Two More ZenBooks With 7th-Gen Intel CPUs, Nvidia Graphics - Posted 1-19-2017 (1-20-2017)
- TechConnect - Microsoft's latest Windows 10 ad annoys Chrome users with taskbar pop-ups (1-20-2017)
- YouTube - Digital Trends - Trends with Benefits: Tech trends to watch for in 2017 - Posted 1-19-2017 (1-20-2017)
- YouTube - Chris Hein - NAMM Show 2017 Day 0 "Arriving and setting up the booth" - Posted 1-19-2017 (1-20-2017)
- From Milt Gugenheim - eogn.com -
Use Send Anywhere for Secure Sending of Files | Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter - Posted 1-19-2017 (1-20-2017)
- Send Anywhere (1-20-2017)
- PCWorld - The Windows 10 Creators Update's best new features: Dynamic Lock, Game Mode, privacy tweaks, and more - (1-20-2017)
- RedShark News - Is it time for drastic changes to operating systems? Posted 1-18-2017 (1-20-2017)
- From Robert Collier -
San Antonio Express-News -
City officials explain Google Fiber pause - Posted 1-18-2017 (1-19-2017)
- Steinberg - What is new in HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3 - "HALion 6, HALion Sonic 3 and Absolute 3 will be available in February 2017" (1-19-2017)
- AudioMediaInternational - Free DigiLink I/O Licence for Focusrite Red customers (1-19-2017)
- ExtremeTech - Now we know what Microsoft's upcoming 'Game Mode' for Windows 10 will do - Posted 11-18-2017 (1-19-2017)
- ExtremeTech - AMD's Ryzen CPU sort of gets a release date - Posted 1-13-2017 (1-19-2017)
- AMD - CES 2017 (1-19-2017)
- PCWorld - New AMD Ryzen details revealed: Overclocking, CrossFire, lineup info, and more - Posted 1-5-2017 (1-19-2017)
- TechConnect - The Windows 10 Creators Update's best new features: Dynamic Lock, Game Mode, privacy tweaks, and more (1-18-2017)
- InfoWorld - Win10 updates KB 3213986, KB 3210721 have multimonitor problems - Posted 1-12-2017 (1-17-2017)
- From Duane Hendricks - 4k Laptop & Desktop Reviews - Best 4k Gaming Notebooks - Posted 11-23-2016 (1-17-2017)
You need to ask yourself what you need 4K visual display for and understand a fundamental thing: 4K resolution is almost indistinguishable from Full HD resolution on the kinds of small screens that laptops come with. So unless you mostly want the 4K graphics for the sake of knowing you have them, even if hardly anyone can distinguish your screen from an HD screen, then go ahead, but you might find yourself a bit underwhelmed by what you see.
The bottom line is that while 4K laptops create truly, almost impossibly crisp imagery for graphics in native 4K resolution, they aren’t something you really need unless you plan on regularly working with native 4K resolution in terms of graphics and image editing."
- From Joe Whinery - Windows UAC Consent Behavior Prompt - gHacks Tech News - How to configure Windows UAC prompt behavior for admins and users - Posted 6-20-2013 (1-17-2017)
- From Duane Hendricks - CNET - HDMI 2.1 - What you need to know - Posted 1-12-2017 (1-14-2017)
- Duane Hendricks - PCWorld - The 22 best changes in Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15002 Posted 1-12-2017 (1-13-2017)
"Here is what the article says about scaling. Proper icon scaling
One of the perpetual bugs I notice with Windows 10 is the lack of icon scaling. Sometimes you can un- and re-dock a Surface Book, and everything looks as it should. On other occasions, though, icons become crazily resized, and app windows get thrown out of whack. Build 15002 promises to reconcile this once and for all, and in my limited time with it, it seems to.
If Windows doesn't apply the changes consistently, you may be able to enable what Microsoft calls "high DPI support" by right-clicking on a program's EXE file, opening its properties, and checking "Override high DPI scaling behavior" under the Compatibility tab."
- TechConnect - Gigabyte PC (GB-GZ1DTi7-1070) review: A powerhouse PC diminished by noisy fans (1-13-2017)
- TriDef - TriDef SmartCam - Replace or SmartBlur your background in video chat applications (1-12-2017)
- GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1151 - GA-Z270X-Gaming 9 (rev. 1.0) (1-12-2017)
- Newegg.com - Motherboards - Intel - GIGABYTE Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 9 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX (1-12-2017)
- AnandTech - AMD Set to Launch Ryzen Before March 3rd, Meeting Q1 Target - Posted 1-11-2017 (1-12-2017)
- ExtremeTech - Windows 10 free upgrades are still unofficially available (1-12-2017)
- From Robert Collier - HD Tune (1-12-2017)
- From Joe Whinery - Microsoft - Windows 10 Update Assistant (1-11-2017)
- From Joe Whinery - Microsoft - Process Explorer (1-11-2017)
- From Joe Whinery - MajorGeeks - Download What's Running - (1-11-2017)